February was actually a really big month for me. I started focusing on my goals & making more of a point to live my life exactly how I want to live – expending energy only on the things that are either necessary or enriching my overall life experience.
- Blogging. I have always wanted to start a blog – a place where I can literally babble on about whatever I want. It’s nice to have a connection with people who share my interests & to have the opportunity to interact with anyone who enjoys what I’m writing about, but my ultimate motivator here was to just have an outlet to get all these thoughts & ramblings out of my head and into the world. I really couldn’t be happier with the impact this blog has had on my creative juices and general sense of self. I’m less than a month into it, but for the first time, I absolutely see myself sticking with it. I’ve actually tried to start blogs before, but I always tried to make them similar to the blogs I’m obsessed with reading, which really isn’t my forte. I never stuck it out longer than a month because it was just so exhausting to come up with content that I thought people would want to read. Adjusting my expectations and theme for this blog has really made it that much easier to set aside time to write every day & I’m rolling in topics that I want to explore in coming posts.
- Embracing the Nerd. I’ve always known I was a huge nerd – and in certain circles, I’ve always worn it proudly, like a badge of honor. Bragging about my storm trooper tattoo or admitting how much I love Star Trek. This month I made a conscious effort to let the nerd seep into every corner of my life and stop trying separate my modern-crafty-girlie-young-mother persona from my nerdy one. I’m one person and I need to be the same person all the time. Allowing myself to geek out about things to people I have never geeked out to has not only made me feel more like myself, but has also made it incredibly clear that those who love me have always known I’m a nerd, even when I wasn’t talking about it. They’re not going to stop loving me just because I love to talk about sci-fi or books.
- Purging. Towards the end of the month, I began a huge purge-fest of things (mostly clothing, craft supplies, & baby gear) that I have been hoarding for years. Getting rid of all this extra junk is easing a lot of the stress in my life & I can’t believe how much easier I can breathe knowing that I’m so close to having an orderly home. Once I’ve pared down my possessions to only those that I use or that make me happy, I can focus on decorating & making it a relaxing place that I love to spend time. Because right now, that is mostly not the case.
I don’t really have very lofty goals for March, except to keep on this path I’ve begun. I definitely have some work ahead of me in the purge department, and I’d like to see the whole project complete by the end of March so I can be done with spring cleaning by the time spring rolls around. Some other things I’m going to be working on this month in my life:
- Making a Budget. We’re terrible at this. Living paycheck-to-paycheck is not a great way to exist as a young homeowner & parent. Hubby & I need to sit down this month & really look at our finances. I’ll ashamedly admit that I have no idea what expenses we have each month or what our financial situation looks like & I’d really like to get a handle on it so we can take steps towards eliminating debt & building a nest egg. There’s a ton of work that our house needs – BIG work like windows, a new roof, tree removal, and new floors – and right now I don’t see us being able to take care of most of it for a few years. If we could accelerate the timeline a bit, I think we’d both be happier. Especially the windows situation, because I can’t even tell you how high our utility bills are due to the EXTREME inefficiency of the windows. I’m surprised the rain doesn’t leak in.
- Starting a Capsule Wardrobe. As mentioned in my post last week, I have committed to building myself a capsule wardrobe for spring. I really think it’s going to simplify my life & leave me a lot more time to devote to my passions instead of laundry & outfit-picking. Also, it’s gonna be nice to completely curb that whole impulse-shopping thing that I tend to do.
- Solidifying Career Goals. God, I’ve been trying to figure out what I want to do with my life for …well, my whole life. And I still don’t have a solid answer. I think my ultimate requirement is that I just want to do something that allows me creative freedom, as well as the freedom to work when & how I want to. I’ve got a good thing going that shows a lot of promise, so I’m hoping March is the month that helps me make a leap into something that becomes a career instead of just a job.
These all feel kinda huge & vague at the same time, but I’m turning 27 in just under 2 months & I really want 2015 to be the year where I get my shit together & start living like an adult. That’s not to say I’m ever going to begin ACTING like an adult, because where’s the fun in that? But there’s a difference between having your shit together and being a boring grown up. You can have your shit together & still know when and how to be silly or ridiculous. That’s what I need to do.
How about you? Any growing up to do this month? Being an adult is hard, but it’s weirdly fun. And it’s going to be super-satisfying to feel like my life is in order.
Until Next Time ❤